Wealthy Affiliate has been in the market for 15 years now. That is more than a decade, longer than 90% of online money-making products.
However, are the training and tools provided still relevant to the current market, or has it lost its edge and become something in the past?
In this review, we are going to talk about the cost of joining Wealthy Affiliate, compare it with the services and value that you are going to receive, and decide whether it still worth your time and money.
And just in case you have not heard of Wealthy Affiliate, here is my full review on them.
How Much Does Wealthy Affiliate Cost
There are 2 types of memberships offered by Wealthy Affiliate
1. Starter membership (FREE)
2. Premium membership which will cost you:
a) $49 payable monthly
b) $234 payable 6 monthly (equivalent to $39 per month)
c) $359 payable yearly (equivalent to $29.9 per month)
In other words, you get a discount of 20% by going half-yearly, and 39% by going yearly.
And just for the newcomer, you get to enjoy first-month special promo rate at $19. This is only for people who sign up premium membership for the first time and valid only for one month.
If you are serious about this business, yearly is the way to go.
Tips to save more:
Every year during Black Friday, Wealthy Affiliate offers a special yearly-membership promotion. In 2018, the price was slashed to $299/year, which is equivalent to $24.9 per month, meaning that it is only $0.82 per day.
However, I can’t guarantee that this offer will be back every year, it is solely up to the discretion of the founders of Wealthy Affiliate.
The good news is, once you caught the Black Friday deal, you get to secure the rate and renew your membership at that price when it is due.
Starter Membership – Is It Really Free?
Oh yes, it is as real as the life itself!
A lot of people mistaken this free membership as ‘free trial’.
Let me show you the difference.
The free trial usually comes with limited-time access (e.g. 7 days of free trial). They often collect your payment detail beforehand, and when you forgot (or for some reason you just lazy to do so) to terminate the membership before free trials ended, you will be charged for another month.
What Wealthy Affiliate offer here is free starter membership, there is no time limit, it is free for life. Absolutely no payment detail, credit card detail, or bank detail will be asked.
To be exact, you only need to provide a username and email address. That’s all.
Who Is Eligible For Free Starter Membership?
Almost everyone is eligible for free starter membership, except for the residents of:
They are also NOT eligible for the special first-month promo of premium membership at $19.
However, they can sign up for premium membership at the same rate as everyone else.
Is The Premium Membership Worth It?
And that is especially true if you had not engaged any other services or tools because you can fully utilize everything that Wealthy Affiliate had to offer.
I know some people will disagree with me, thinking that ‘worth it or not’, is in the eye of the beholder.
So let’s do the math, no one can argue with the math.
Below are the tools and services included in the premium membership. Let me breakdown the cost one by one, assuming that you were to source it on your own:
1. Web Hosting – Hostgator charges it at $4.95 per month for a SINGLE site, and the price will be increased to $10.95 when the plan is due for renewal (Wealthy Affiliate premium membership includes hosting of 25 full domain websites and 25 SiteRubix subdomain websites, that is a total of 50 websites!)
2. SSL Certificate – GoDaddy charges it at $69 per year, equivalent to $5.75 per month (some hosting plan include SSL Certificate)
3. Keyword research tool – This one is a little hard to compare because each of the tools comes with different features. But in general, even a simple keyword research tool can cost you more than $10 a month
4. All in one SEO plugin – Comes with WordPress Business Plan that cost $25 per month
5. Affiliate marketing course with weekly live training – Any course with similar calibre will easily cost you more than $200
6. More than 3,000 free WordPress themes to choose from – Priceless
7. More than 1,000,000 free images to choose from – Priceless (you still can get these free images from various platforms like Pexel, Pixabay, Usplash etc. Wealthy Affiliate just combines them all together and allow you to search for these images from your SiteRubix content-writing platform. This feature is more for convenience sake.)
8. Get guaranteed comments for your site – Priceless
9. Fellow affiliate marketers’ support (ability to PM anyone of them)– Priceless
10. Tips and tricks shared by other affiliate marketers on the dashboard – Priceless
11. A PM away from the founders – Priceless
12. The convenience of having everything under one roof (writing content, doing keyword research, inserting images, checking for duplicate content, publishing content, interaction with other marketers, live chats etc) – Priceless
13. A PM away from me – Invaluable
How Does Wealthy Affiliate Stay Abreast With The Current Market?
I have seen great training that faded with time, simply because the owner was getting complacent, and didn’t bother to update their training to keep it abreast with the need of the market.
How about Wealthy Affiliate?
This is something crucial because no one wants to pay any amount of money for some outdated 14-year-old training.
So let’s take a look at what had taken place in Wealthy Affiliate these recent years.
New Initiatives by Wealthy Affiliate 2017-2019:
- New Email Platform – New & Improved Email Platform for Your Websites (October 2019)
- Video Training 2.0 – Improved Video Training UX and Speed for WA training (August 2019)
- Kraken Image Optimization – Industry-leading optimization for all website (July 2019)
- Affiliate Programs Platform – Search & Find the Most Lucrative Programs (May 2019)
- SiteComments 2.0 and Accreditation – The Ability to Earn Through Commenting at WA (March 2019)
- Super Affiliate Challenge 2.0 – A 12 Month Step by Step Training To Affiliate Success (January 2019)
- Wealthy Affiliate Mobile Version (September 2018)
- SiteComments 2.0 (September 2018)
- Site Speed Extreme & Caching Improvements (August 2018)
- SSL for All (August 2018)
- Ambassadorship Updates (June 2018)
- Brand New Homepage / Website Pages (May 2018)
- New UX Launch (May 2018)
- New WA Blogging Platform (March 2018)
- Full Jaaxy Integration & New Menu (February 2018)
- Video Platform Updates (January 2018)
- PageSpeed Insights – Analyze & Improve Your Website Speeds (October 2017)
- SiteContent Images – Over 1,000,000+ FREE Images (October 2017))
- 2017 Ambassador Platform Launch – (September 2017)
- Jaaxy 3.0, A Brilliant Redesign (July 2017)
- SiteContent, The Ultimate Writing Platform (June 2017)
- SiteSpeed – Your Site is Now on Steroids (May 2017)
- SiteBuilder – Brand New Website Builder (April 2017)
- Training, Completely Redesigned (March 2017)
- SiteSSL, Free SSL for ALL (January 2017)
I see no sign of complacency. Everything is moving fast, just like how the affiliate marketing industry is evolving.
That is exactly what we want!
As you can see, the core training had been completely redesigned in Mar 2017. Coupled with weekly live training, constantly updated classroom training, I can safely conclude that all the training are kept up-to-date with the ever-changing online space.
There are no worries about getting stale information and knowledge here.
Training Structure In Wealthy Affiliate
You will never get bored with the training provided in Wealthy Affiliate. They came in different formats (text, video, live classes) and a wide variety of topics. You can definitely find a style that suits your learning need.
In general, the training can be divided into 3 broad categories:
1. Core Training (including text tutorials and video tutorials)
2. Live Webinar
There are two types of core training, with some overlap of information between the two:
1. Online Entrepreneur Certification
Here you get to learn all the fundamentals of affiliate marketing, which you can apply to any niche online.
This training consists of 5 levels, with 10 lessons in each level.
2. Affiliate Bootcamp
This training is pretty much similar to the Online Entrepreneur Certification. There is some additional information tailored specifically for members who want to partake in the make-money-online niche and promote Wealthy Affiliate.
This training consists of 7 levels, with 10 lessons in each level.
Weekly Live Webinar
The weekly live webinar covers a wide variety of topics related to internet marketing that is not covered in the main course. It is conducted by the Training Chief, Jay, from Magistudios.
All live webinars are recorded and kept in the archives. So you can access previously recorded sessions and complete them at your own time.
Classrooms are divided into broad topic areas. Any premium members of at least 3 months are allowed to create training here.
Here is where you can dig for some ‘little known’ insider tips that hard to come by elsewhere.
Free Starter Membership v.s. Premium Membership
The starter membership is meant for you to take a sneak peek at what Wealthy Affiliate has to offer, while premium membership gives you access to EVERYTHING on the Wealthy Affiliate platform.
There is no upsell, no secret room, nothing that you have to pay more to get access to.
While there are some ‘limited-time access features’ for free starter member, the 10 free lessons and 2 free websites hosting are yours for a lifetime.
A chart speaks a thousand words, so let’s take a look at this comparison chart:
Success Is Happening Every day!
Be it a simple step forward, or a great success, we celebrate it together.
That is the spirit in Wealthy Affiliate.
They are ordinary people like you and me, many of them without prior affiliate marketing skill.
They are all living proof that the training in Wealthy Affiliate really works.
How Do I Fund My Wealthy Affiliate Membership
What if I tell you that by simply leaving 4 comments a day on other people’s site, you can fully cover your Wealthy Affiliate membership fee?
Yes, I am not joking.
You can do it right in the Wealthy Affiliate platform, by using SiteComment feature.
And I can show you how to do it in 2 simple steps:
1. Write 50 comments in 30 days, aim for an approval rating of 80% or higher, and skip rate of 20% or less, so that you can become a ‘certified commentor’ to start making money from writing comments.
2. Thereafter, write 4 comments every day. On average every comment will allow you to make $0.25 (to be exact, every alternate comment that you write will make you $0.5. For ease of calculation purpose I simply provide you with an average amount). So you will end up with $30 a month, just enough to cover your monthly membership cost.
And if you are signing up with the monthly payment scheme instead of the yearly scheme, you will need to write 7 comments per day instead of 4. Which is still manageable.
This is an easy way to make some pocket money, but don’t get caught up with it. Remember that your main focus should still be on creating quality content for your site.
My Own Journey To Wealthy Affiliate
I was very cautious when I first came across Wealthy Affiliate.
I read many reviews, checked and confirmed that I will be bearing no risk at all before I filled up my email address and username in that little sign-up box.
And I stayed as a free starter member for more than a month before I made the decision to go premium. I researched many other ways, hoping to find a way to make money while staying as a free member.
But no matter how I calculate, there is no cheaper way to do this other than going premium.
So during the Black Friday Sales, I made a leap of faith and I went full force into yearly membership.
That’s how I started!
Now that it has been a while since I am with Wealthy Affiliate, my conclusion is, Wealthy Affiliate definitely worth the money, and it is still the best training in the market for affiliate marketers.